The completion of M Central, a new inner-city loft-style apartment complex, has resurrected a forgotten piece of Sydney history. In 1882 R. Goldsbrough & Co built its first Sydney wool store in Pyrmont to take advantage of Darling Harbour and the rail system.
The site first became a woolstore in 1906 with the construction of the Pitt, Son & Badgery building, which is now known as M Central 1. Goldbrough Mort constructed two additional wool stores (Number 2 & 3 store) on Harris Street in 1925, the building which is now known as M Central 2.
By the 1930’s Pyrmont and Ultimo was New South Wales’ wool store centre. In recognition of the site’s heritage, the M in M Central stands for Merino.
A fire on the 25th September 1935 destroyed Goldsbrough wool store No. 1 (now known as Goldsbrough Apartments, an adjacent building) and damaged the No. 2 & No. 3 stores. There was also damage to the Pitt Son & Badgery wool store. In 1936 Stuart Brothers constructed a new wool store at Goldsbrough wool store No. 1 and made renovations to the No. 2 & 3 stores. M Central 2 facade is subsequently newer than M Central 1 which dates back to 1906.
Later the companies of Pitt Son & Badgery and Goldsbrough Mort merged and operated on Harris Street until 1972 when they relocated to Yennora and operated as Elders Ltd.
The wool was converted into a car park in the late 1980’s and also housed the motor museum which became well known for its slot car track. The building continued to operate as a car park until its conversion to residential apartments which were completed in 2005. The architects Marchese Partners and Dale Jone-Evans incorporated the traditional features of the wool store in their final design.
The conversion of the two buildings, in Harris and Pyrmont streets, celebrates the woolstore’s heritage, with many original features incorporated into the development by two award winning architectural firms Marchese Partners and Dale Jones-Evans Architects.